Friday evening

10:00 p.m. - Someone in this house has messed up iTunes.  Three versions of every song now reside on what used to be my perfectly manicured iTunes landscape.  No one has confessed.  The decision is tough:  Clear and reload or clean up the duplicates.

I've decided to start fresh.

I have far more music available on my external drives than I could ever put on the largest iPod.  The question for you, dear readers is this:  What are the essential artists/songs?

Help me.

Update:

Entire collections added:  Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Brahms, Corelli, Chopin, George Winston, The Beatles, Genesis, Toto, Journey, Roxy Music, Bruce Springsteen, Bad Company, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Alan Parsons Project,  Sinatra, Jobim, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Sarah Vaughan.

Decided against:  Cold Play, John Mayer, Prince, Air Supply. . .so far.

Steve's recommendations here (I have complied with those I own - I swore I had some Marshall Tucker Band).
Doug's recommendations here.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 11/17/2012 1:45 PM Andrew Munro wrote:
    Where to begin?? I understand that in many parts of the world it is a criminal offence not to have any Warren Zevon in your collection. And what about Bob Dylan, Jeff Beck or the Grateful Dead. And then add Neil Young's Harvest, Joan Osborne's Relish, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Just for a start, you understand
    1. 11/17/2012 2:34 PM Cultural Offering wrote:
      Added Zevon, Neil Young, Jeff Beck and Pink Floyd (complete collection).

Need to get some Grateful Dead and Joan Osborne.

Thanks, Andrew.

• 11/17/2012 2:29 PM E wrote:
    No brainer on the Air Supply Kurt. E.

For your consideration, how about some new stuff? I'll blog my suggestions.
    1. 11/17/2012 2:41 PM Cultural Offering wrote:
      New stuff?  I have some awesome new stuff.  Helene Grimaud's Mozart, as well as her work with Sol Gabetta.

Zuill Bailey's Brahms too.  I am so now it is incredible.  I think I have some Lil' Wayne too.

But I will also take your recommendations as I absolutely should.

• 11/19/2012 2:15 AM GJ wrote:
    Dead? MUST HAVE Workingman's Dead above all studio stuff, then American Beauty, the companion piece. MUST have some decent live Dead discs...to appreciate them in a real sense. Garcia's first solo (1972), and Old and In The Way. I have to have some Peter Rowan and Dave Van Ronk. Paradise & Lunch-- Ry Cooder. 60s Dylan. I gotta shut up and go to bed. I got hundreds of opinions. (I missed Iris DeMent this weekend to go to Toronto to see (and meet!!!)the great Dave Swarbrick, "the most influential English fiddler of the last 50 years" according to.... What a hoot he is, too. Much Louis Armstrong! Don't you need most of Steely Dan? Eric Burdon and the Animals. Cream. Layla. Some King Crimson. All Things Must Pass. The Band. CSN's first. Much Joni Mitchell. Nick Drake. Pixies. Stones--Let It Bleed, Beggar's Banquet, Exile on Main Street. Hot Rats by Zappa. Yo La Tengo. Jimmie Dale Gilmore. Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie separately. And...some medieval church music by Paul McCreesh, as well as whatever band YOU favor that was very influenced by The Velvet Underground. Too many miles this weekend...after 1:00 AM rambling...bed. Out.
    1. 11/19/2012 7:14 AM Cultural Offering wrote:
      Getting ready to load McCreesh's Mass for Christmas Day (no Christmas music until Friday).  CSN, yes.  Steely Dan (and Donald Fagen), complete collections.  Animals and Cream, check.  King Crimson, adding.  Already added Cash and Jones; Willie and Waylon next.  Stones, absolutely.  Ry Cooder, you bet.